Friday 23 October 2009

SELWG 09 Report


SELWG is back at Crystal Palace in London and with the entry fee still at £5 it seemed that they had not been away.
Although when I arrived the hall did seem a little empty since the last time I was there in 2007. All of the trade stands were very busy. With my shopping list in my hand I had a quick look around the floors first, but I was unable to pick up any of the Hat
Sets that I wanted. This is now a real problem as I might now have to wait for Salute next year.
The only thing off my shopping list that I brought was the Waterloo 1815 set of Line infantry Officers. For 10 figures the price did seem to be a bit steep at £7 .50 pence but it’s a very nice and crisp set of figures.

On the gaming front there was a great choice of periods but most of these seem to of come from this year’s Salute show? And a lot of WWII stuff.
The best Terrain award, if I could give one, would of gone to the Shepway Gamers for their WWII 20mm game of “The Hockwald Gap” 1945. The battle was against the 4th Canadian Armoured Division and the German 116th Panzer Division. The table layout looked fantastic and all hand made and the figures and tanks looked good. It’s a shame that my picture does not do it justice.

There were two Napoleonic games being played. One was from Too Fat Lardies with the Battle of Aspern-Essling 1809 in 15 mm scale. The other game, which was at Salute this year was also from the Battle of Aspern-Essling. Thunder on the Danube 1809 was from the Maudstone Wargaming Society but in 6 mm scale.

It was nice to be back at SELWG although the crowds were small this year it was great to get to the trade stands and have a decent look at their products. The only place that you could not get to is that famous Bring and Buy stand.






No comments:

Post a Comment